Friday, May 30, 2008

OF EARTHWORMS AND EARTHWORMS

My first day in college....
Teacher1- you've scored really high marks in math.. why did you join Zoology??
Me- Well, i like biology, so that's the reason I think.
Teacher1- hmmm... you have to be really good to survive in this department.. not that I'm trying to scare you.
Me- I'll try my best
..............................................................................................................

Next day....

Teacher2- Today we'll start with an earthworn.. the easiest to cut open... I'll show you just once.. and even after that if you can't, I'll throw each one of you out of the class.
Me- scared

She took the tiny earthworm in her hands... hands which shook like she was secreting an overdose of dopamine... "Be careful not to cut the intestine. we'll take out the ovary today"..she took a scissor, borrowed it from me actually.... she tried to make the first incision... failed miserably... "Whose scissor is this??"
Me- mine...(in a low voice)
Teacher- I really don't know what the world's coming to... I thought you stupid kids would know to differentiate between a good scissor and a bad one...
She continued cutting.... the intestine burst.. the gooey contents of which spilled out on her hands....( we controlled the laughter that had been building up inside us)
Teacher- Well, actually I wanted to show you that you shouldn't cut it like this....
(more laughter)
She finally cut open the earthworm, pinned it down ...( poor earthworm, looked like it had been assasinated in the cruelest way... even jesus did not have so many pins in his body)
Teacher- Now we take out your ovary..
what???.. some girls couldn't help crying out....
Teacher - Don't act silly... of course I mean the earthworm's ovaries...
she continued... took a forcep from me..( ya, you guessed right... she criticised the forcep to her heart's content even before putting it to test)...
She plunged it into what she said was the 14th segment... took out something which looked like a whilte lump and placed it on a slide....
Teacher- Now you'll see how beautiful the ovaries look like...
she adjusted the slide under the microscope....and called out to each one of us to marvel at the beauty of the white lump...
Me- Ma'am, but this doesn't look like what's been shown in the book, looks rather like fibres...
Teacher- Do you think you know too much??... I know your kind of girls.. always trying to act extra smart on the first day of college.. well, let me tell you, such antics will not work here...
I retired to my seat... took an earthworm and set out to massacre its brains out...

Teacher 3 came in just then...
Teacher 3- What are you showing these kids today?
Teacher 2- Nothing, just how to take out ovaries from the earthworm.. it's a very important excercise.. comes for 10 marks in the exam...
Teacher 3- let me have a look at it..
She peers through the microscope...
Teacher3- umm.... this isn't the ovary... it's fibres.....
Teacher 2- oh well, I know.. I was just trying to test them.....
Teacher 3 looked doubtfully at the class, now trying its best to cut the earthworm without spilling out its contents... took an earthworm of her own, cut it open, and put it on a slide...she then called out to all of us...
Now this looked like the ovaries like the ones dranw in the book... round beautiful structures...
Teacher2- ya... now look at it carefully.... this is what you're supposed to get in the next ten minutes... if you don't you'll lose out on your attendance...
I struggled with the tiny dead brown earthworm... finally, I burst the intestine, broke its head, and then, there was nothing left of it.... time was running out.... she had already thrown 8 of us out of the class for not showing her the right thing.... I had already had a not so good start in the department...
Out of desperation, I sneaked out the slide teacher 3 had prepared from under the microscope... I knew it had the 'right' stuff... at least that's what the teachers had said...
I took the slide to her... sure that I couldn't get blasted for that...

Teacher2- What have you brought here??.. does this even remotely resemble the ovaries???... You girl, which school have you come from??... oh baroda... I should've known... small city girls like you trying to prove to the world what gems you are.. But let me tell you, you'll not be allowed in this class unless you improve your behaviour....

I laughed secretly... now I was convinced she was nothing but a hollow drum making a whole of of noise.. probably beacuse she was insecure... insecure about someone who'd out do her... actually each one of us was better than her any day...

So since that day, we never even paid a second long attention to what she said... we laughed when she scolded... we basically did all the things that made her furious.... but she couldn't do anything.... the other teachers loved us... we were the best batch that had come in a 100 years (ok, maybe that's an exaggeration).....

1 Comments:

Blogger Abhishek Madan said...

Your're writin about college afer you're done wit it? Pagol.
Nice though. Keep writing like the oher 2 posts too.. don't forget that style of writing.

May 30, 2008 at 10:43 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home